Netgear wireless range extenders are very useful to improve the coverage area of our existing WiFi routers. Netgear has a wide range of range extenders that are also known as a signal booster, range expander, and wireless repeaters. These are very popular due to its affordability as well as easy and handy to use features. Netgear extender setup lets you repeat the existing WiFi signals of access point or router (any) to provide internet connectivity even at the dead spot and blind zones in your home.
Having a problem in setting up your Netgear WiFi booster? Don’t worry, here, in this tutorial you can find light and smooth DIY methods to set up your device like a pro.
Configure your Netgear Wireless Range Extender Using WiFi-Protected Setup (WPS) Method
- Set the range extender/ Access Point switch to the extended position.
- Place your Netgear WiFi booster in the same room as your existing wireless router.
Note: Your main router is required only during the initial setup process of the range extender.
- Plug the Netgear wireless router into a power source and wait for a couple of minutes the LED light to illuminate solid green.
Note: If the LED does not light up, push the Power On/Off button on the range extender once.
- After a couple of seconds, press the WPS button on your Netgear device. When the WPS LED on your device blinks within a few minutes, press the WPS button on your main router as well.
- If your existing WiFi router supports the 5GHz band, repeat the step four (4) to connect the range extender to the 5GHz band.
- The spot should halfway between your main router and the area with poor connectivity.
- Plug the range extender into a power source out and wait for the LED lights change its color to solid green.
If you are still facing issues while configuring your range extender using the WPS method then:
- Choose a new location to spot your devices
- Place them away from metal appliances, electronic gadgets, and Bluetooth devices.
- Update your router with the latest and updated version of the technology.
- Do not place your existing device (router) inside the cabinet or beneath the table.
- Place extender and the router at a higher shelf that should be neat and clean.
Still facing issues in setting up your device? Don’t worry; just ask our technical department for Netgear extender support. We are the trustworthy solution partner of Netgear.
Initial Installation of your Netgear Range Extender Using Web Browser Setup
- Plug the range extender into a shock-free power outlet and wait for the LED light turns to solid green.
- Use a WiFi client (wireless computer, laptop, smartphone, or tablet) and connect to the NETGEAR_EXT SSID (network name).
Note: Moreover, you can also use a wired computer/ laptop for installation and configuration of the WiFi range extender. Use an Ethernet/ USB cable and connect between the computer or laptop and the signal booster Ethernet port.
- Soon after the wireless client is connected to the extender network successfully, the device LED light will power/ turn on. Now, open an internet browser (any) and navigate to www.mywifiext.uk. Moreover, you can also use the default IP address of your device i.e. 192.168.1.250 for login.
- Next, what you are going to do is to click on the new extender setup button and complete the extender setup screen and click on next.
Note: This account is for your Netgear extender web-user interface username and password (login credentials) recovery.
- Click on WiFi range extender and select the WiFi network you wish to extend. Once done, click on next.
- Enter the wireless Password (security key or passphrase) and click on next.
- Enter your network name (SSID), security settings, etc. and click on next.
Note: In order to use a different wireless security type, select the option “Use a different password” and after that, select your security type (preferred).
- Once done, connect your wireless device to the Netgear wireless range extender and click on continue.
Good Job! Your range extender is now configured successfully and properly. Click on next in order to proceed with the registration process.
Click on Finish once completed with the registration process.
Note: You can click Skip the Registration process if your device is registered already.
Netgear Genie is a smart desktop app in today’s modern world that runs on both PC/ desktop and Mac as well. On the other hand, it can also be configured to manage, control, and repair Netgear home WiFi routers, providing a simple dashboard to monitor the home networking system.
Part 1: Installation of the WiFi Router
Acquire a Wireless Router
Nowadays, there are a variety of factors that determine which WiFi router is best for you. These include interference, distance, transfer speed, and security as well.
- The most important factor to consider while purchasing a WiFi router is the distance between the router and the devices that you are connecting wirelessly. Expensive routers have more antennae, which can lead to a stable connection to cover further distances.
- The amount of signal interference is another factor to consider. If you have multiple devices (wired and wireless) that operate on 2.4GHz bands, such as microwaves, cordless phones, etc. these can interfere with the existing WiFi signal. Netgear routers can operate on the 5GHz band, which is less crowded and less prone to interference.
- Transfer of speed is an important feature to consider. Newer routers in today’s scenario claim to be to transfer data more than 450 Mbps. This may be helpful when moving data between two computers or laptops over a network. But it will not increase your internet speed.
- At last, ensure that the router you are purchasing has the latest form of wireless encryption, WPA2 and is updated by the latest version of the technology.
Note: Netgear extender setup is the ultimate factor through which you can improve your existing internet range to a greater extent. They are also very helpful in providing safe, secure, and high speed of WiFi in poor connectivity areas.
a Cloud Computing diagram– stock image