In this article, I am going to tell about easy and brisk methods by which you can recover data from corrupt VHD file with ease.
VHD aka Virtual Hard Disk sometimes gets prone to corruption which led the damaging of VHD files. All the important files and folders including the boot files get vanished from the system in front of our naked eyes.
- What is a VHD file?
- Reasons for VHD corruption.
- Manual methods to solve the VHD issues.
- Professional way of VHD file recovery.
- Final verdicts
First things first:
About VHD file
Virtual Hard Disk is created by Connectix Corporation(a software company) later acquired by Microsoft in 2005 to support the Microsoft Virtual PC product. It is used as an external storage device(HDD) for a virtual machine. It is virtually designed as same as the physical Hard disk which contains disk partitions and file system including files and folders.
How VHD files get the corrupted or unreadable error?
According to many pieces of research and by taking several users reviews the below-mentioned reasons are the top one reasons for the corruption of VHD file.
- Hard disk drive not responding:
It may happen that the HDD get damaged or corrupted during the making of a hard disk drive by the manufacturer or firmware.
- Accidentally transfer files over faulty hardware:
VHD files sometimes also show error when by mistakenly the user transfers the Virtual files over corrupted hardware or by making the connection with faulty hardware. Removing Virtual HDD during usage also creates an error in the disk.
- Virus or malware attacks:
The user has to face VHD corruption or unreadable error due to virus attack onto the system which leads to the permanent deletion of the Virtual machine data from the Virtual HDD. It also infects the programs and applications installed on the system.
- The inappropriate shutdown of the system:
If the system is not closed or shutdown in a proper way then it may be the reason for the corruption of VHD files of Virtual machine which makes the Hard Disk Drive to show error during its usage.
- Updating antivirus programs on HDD:
Installing antivirus programs over the Virtual machine leads the Virtual hard disk drive to show bizarre behavior while the user will try to operate it.
- Humans issues can also be the reason for VHD error or unreadable error:
Accidentally formatting VHD or removing some important system files from the Virtual HDD or managing the disk in the wrong manner etc. All these can be the reasons for VHD corruption.
Manual tricks to recover data from the corrupt VHD file
Mount the VHD file
- Mount the .vhd file using the command prompt underneath the parent partition and type the CHKDSK command to start the process of VHD file repairing.
- After that use Hyper-V virtual machine to check the integrity of the VHD file.
- Here VHD file will be added to the IDE controller for the inspection process.
- Thereafter download Microsoft VHD repair tool which is available with the free repair option to roll back the expanding mode on base VHD when multiple VHD’s are available.
Recovery by using virtual machines
Another easy trick for VHD file recovery is by creating a virtual machine in your system which will help you out to solve the problem by repairing the corrupted video file in your system.
Follow the below mentioned steps to do so:
Step 1: Create a new virtual server and attach a new hard disk with the new server.
Step 2: Now click on the “settings” option and choose the newly added hard disk, after that
select the corrupted video file which you want to repair.
Step 3: Select the “compact” option by clicking on the virtual disk wizard button and go for the
option “convert it to a fixed size virtual hard disk”.
Step 4: Save your repaired VHD file with a new file name.
The above method will compact the corrupted vhd file and you can now mount it over the original server with ease.
NOTE: If these manual tricks are not suitable with your computer or you are unable to use them than you didn’t need to worry because below mention method is the best way to retrieve data from corrupt VHD file within a minute.
Professional way of VHD file recovery
Talking about the best and easy tricks to resolve the VHD file corruption remedy then here the VHD recovery tool stands first in the row. This tool comes with an advanced technology which allows you to recover corrupt VHD file data with ease. It has an interactive graphical user interface that even a novice can use it without prior tech knowledge.
Characteristics of the software tool:
- Support for all type of data in VHD files.
- Corrupt VHD files in the fixed disk, as well as VHD files in a dynamic disk, can be retrieved out.
- Comes with three modes of recovery Standard, Advance and Deep.
- Supports all file system like FAT, FAT16, FAT32, FAT64, etc.
- In the case of a FAT file, VHD recovery from formatted files can be possible.
- MBR and GPT hard disk format is fully supported.
Through this post, I tried to make the user understand the VHD file and discuss the corruption-related issues with the VHD file. So the brisk and easy methods have been discussed in this post. For faster results, the user can go for the VHD recovery software tool which can easily roll back the VHD data within a minute without any data alteration.
Hand presenting business analysis concept