With ever-expanding technology, and the steady evolution of communication platforms, accessibility is a paramount concern.
Ensuring all people have an equal opportunity to access information – regardless of physical or mental ability – is necessary to sustain today’s diverse culture.
And one of the easiest ways to solve this challenge? Subtitles!
Subtitles benefit those with hearing deficiencies and those learning new languages. That’s why we should learn to embrace the benefits of subtitles.
Benefit 1: Accessibility
The biggest benefit of subtitles for your business is accessibility.
Having subtitles ensures that everyone can access and understand your content regardless of their hearing ability.
Accessibility benefits your business by:
- Increasing viewership by making sure everyone has the opportunity to watch and understand what’s going on in your videos.
- Making it easier for people with hearing impairments to follow along, as well as for those who are learning a new language.
- Increasing engagement by making sure all viewers can stay interested and comprehend what your video says.
With over 48 million Americans and 360 million people worldwide experiencing hearing loss, subtitles bring a broad new audience to your video content.
Benefit 2: Following the Law
An unfortunate truth of the modern age is that there are still a lot of hurdles for disabled people to overcome to access the same resources as everyone else.
Thankfully, forward-thinking lawmakers have created anti-discriminatory laws protecting their rights.
- One such law requires public videos posted online to be accompanied by closed captions or face some serious consequences courtesy of the FCC.
- Companies that run afoul of the law by not captioning their videos have been taken to court.
That’s why it’s best not to take any chances: be proactive, transcribe, and caption your videos, so you don’t wind up on the wrong side of history!
Benefit 3: Improved Comprehension
Subtitles may have been created to primarily benefit those with hearing loss, but the benefits extend far beyond that.
Studies show that subtitles not only make videos accessible for disabled people but also can increase engagement for English-speaking adults and even help foster language learning in children.
In other words, subtitles can actually improve comprehension!
By adding subtitles to your videos, you can ensure everyone catches all the important details– whether they’re hard of hearing or just need a bit more help understanding.
Benefit 4: Increased Video Views
Subtitles are more than just a helpful accessibility tool – they can also give your business an edge regarding video views.
Subtitles help capture the attention of viewers who wouldn’t have otherwise been able to understand or enjoy your content, increasing viewership and engagement while providing unparalleled access to your message.
Subtitles can be a great way to boost viewership, increasing the chances of success for any business’s content.
Benefit 5: Flexible Video Viewing
Subtitles are a great tool for those who like to watch their favorite shows and movies when it is convenient for them.
Whether you are trying to watch something in a loud environment or just don’t have your headphones handy, subtitles make it easy to keep up with the story.
- Subtitles make it easy for viewers to watch videos on the go and even in noisy environments since they can read along instead of relying on sound or trying to lip-read.
- Subtitles also enable viewers to listen to your video content without increasing the volume, which can be especially helpful for those who want to watch videos in public places or where sound is not allowed.
This means you can reach a wider audience with your content and ensure everyone understands your message.
With technology making more advancements, you can even use an auto subtitle generator that will generate accurate captions in real time so viewers can keep up with your content while on the go.
Benefit 6: Better
As it turns out, subtitles have a hidden superpower.
Sure, they help those watching videos with the sound off to still ‘hear’ what’s going on, but there is another benefit of subtitles.
Subtitles boost your
- By adding transcripts to your audio or video content, you’re effectively granting search engines a superpowered x-ray vision for their searches.
- Search engine crawlers can now take advantage of full-text indexing and rank your content more accurately.
So if you thought subtitles were just for those who couldn’t hear, think again. You can thank subtitles for better
Benefit 7: Videos Show Up in Search
Subtitles are also great for helping your video content show up in search results.
- Adding subtitles to your videos will make them more easily discoverable through search engines, making it easier for potential customers and clients to find them.
- This increases the likelihood of people finding and watching your video, increasing engagement and viewership.
With higher visibility and engagement, you can capitalize on the potential of your videos to build brand awareness and reach more customers.
Benefit 8: Translating the Video to Other Languages
The benefits of subtitles go beyond comprehension; they also make it easier to access content that could have otherwise been in a language barrier.
- With the ability to translate videos into multiple languages, people of any culture or native tongue can understand the content. It’s like having an interpreter on your shoulder at all times!
- Subtitling opens up cultures and communication and allows for effective collaboration between those who would normally be separated.
Whether you’re someone looking to teach ESL students using video content or an ambitious YouTuber eager to expand their viewership globally, having the option to translate videos through subtitles can open up all kinds of opportunities!
Subtitles can greatly impact your business, regardless of its size or industry.
Whether you’re creating videos for a marketing campaign, launching an online course, or simply looking to increase viewership and engagement with your content, subtitles can be the key to success.
Not only do they increase viewership and engagement, but they also provide access to a wider audience and better
In conclusion, subtitles offer numerous benefits to businesses.
With their accessibility benefits, increased viewership potential, and
With all these advantages, subtitles are an essential tool in any business’s arsenal of marketing tools.
We’d like to hear from you; have you used subtitles in your business? What benefits have you seen? Let us know in the comments below!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Subtitles can help improve reading speed, expand vocabulary, and even sharpen critical thinking skills. The added benefit of subtitles is that they provide a “second chance” to understand the conversation. For example, if you miss something when watching a video without subtitles, you might not catch it on your first viewing.
Yes, reading subtitles can help improve your reading skills. It challenges your mind to read quickly and accurately to keep up with the content of the video. Learning new words from subtitles can expand vocabulary, which is a key component of being an effective reader.
Yes, reading subtitles can definitely help improve your vocabulary. Subtitles often introduce words or phrases you might not be familiar with in everyday language. Watching a video with subtitles allows you to learn new words and practice using them in context. Not only does this increase fluency, but it builds confidence as well!