A question that is asked quite often, but should we really think about it? Let’s not separate these two forms. Let’s not analyze whether e-books will ever replace paper books. Let’s remember – electronic books will not destroy traditional books, and paper books will not stop the distribution of e-books. Both forms are equally useful. After all, it doesn’t matter how – the important thing is to read. True?
What is an Ebook – the advantages
An e-book is a book published in an electronic version. This means that it can only be read on mobile devices or specially designed readers. Thanks to this, we have immediate access to our entire library. What are the other benefits of this solution? Easy text search, customization and universal availability.
Thanks to this, we can both purchase and receive the purchased e-book very quickly. E-book bookstores are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This solution allows us to enjoy reading without limits and without waiting for the shipment, which is often long.
However, we need a device that can display them, and therefore a charged battery that will allow us to read the e-book. What are the other advantages of electronic books?
- The main advantage is size and weight. If we want to read a book on a bus or train, we don’t have to carry heavy books. And thanks to the book on the device, we can carry hundreds of titles that will fit in any pocket.
- Comfort and discretion. This solution means that no one knows what you are reading, so you can freely read any book you want.
- Interactivity – thanks to the electronic version of the book, it contains active links to pages with sources or footnotes that automatically take you to a given place in the text.
- Reading comfort – with an electronic reader, we can adjust the size and type of letters to increase reading comfort.
- Access to school readings – in the current epidemiological situation, where access to stationary libraries is limited, e-books are an opportunity for students to familiarize themselves with the readings they are currently reading.
- Subscription reading – thanks to the applications of individual online bookstores, you can purchase access to a subscription, thanks to which you can download books and read them at any time.
- The current situation does not make it easier for us to use stationary bookstores, so online shopping is becoming the only option thanks to which we have access to new reading materials.
- Some libraries offer the possibility of borrowing e-books.
Which is better – an electronic book or a paper one?
Nevertheless, I believe that e-books are the revolutionary future of reading. However, not everyone appreciates the benefits that books in electronic format offer us. So you should ask yourself a question – why is it worth liking e-books?
The main advantage of books in electronic form is their availability. And to start reading, all we need is a computer, phone, tablet or – even above all – an e-book reader.
Convert a book to an eBook
Of course, I know that electronic books neither smell nor rustle. However, let us remember that the most important thing is the content and the comfort of its absorption. Each of us reads in the form that is most convenient for us. However, e-books offer the most possibilities in this respect.
Nobody said that when we start our adventure with reading, we have to give up paper books. Both e-books, audiobooks and printed books can coexist in our reading lives. All we need to do is adjust the form of the book to our current activity!
If you read several dozen books a year, travel and like to have several titles with you, and if you use a reader that also serves other purposes every day, the electronic version is the perfect solution for you.
Ebooks in PDF
PDF is a format suitable for printing. This means that when reading such a file on our reader, the entire page will be adjusted to the size of its display. With a lot of text, it can be quite blurry.
Trying to enlarge the text will result in the effect of enlarging the photo on the screen, so we won’t be able to see the whole thing anyway. There is something like SwifDoo PDF, which more or less allows us to achieve the expected effect of adapting the text being read to the reader’s screen.
Scan a book to PDF
At the very beginning, we will deal with the situation in which we want to convert a fragment of a book, article, notes, etc. into an e-book. To do this, we need to scan the book or take a photo of it. All you need is a camera that virtually every smartphone has.
In order to do anything with the received text, including making any corrections, you must use an OCR program. Examples of OCR programs include ABBYY and FineReader. You can also use SwifDoo PDF for this purpose.
In a nutshell
When starting your adventure with electronic reading, everyone should know what an electronic book, commonly known as an e-book, is. E-book is one of the ways in which we consume our favorite titles. It provides seamless access to our entire library on small, handy phones, tablets or e-book readers.
And most importantly – if we want to read e-books, we don’t have to give up paper books!