Email Marketing is the process of delivering relevant, engaging and timely marketing messages to a specific list of recipients via email. It is a great way to target specific groups and it’s relatively cheap too. Follow these six simple tips to create and run a successful Email Marketing campaign.
# 1. Email sign up
Have a sign up form on your website which is short, simple and has a limited number of required fields. First name and email address should suffice. Information required to sign up to receive emails should be minimal. This will encourage people to complete the sign up process rather than be put off by the number of required fields. Include an explicit message simply stating that the person is signing up to receive emails from your company on a regular basis.
# 2. Build segmented and targeted lists
Email marketing will only be successful if you are sending targeted content to specific lists. For example, sending an email with “Exam Study Tips” to people who have already passed their exams is pointless. They probably won’t open it and may even mark it as spam! As Chris Anderson’s The Long Tail has pointed out; “Increasingly, the mass marketing is turning into a mass of niches”.
# 3. Create short lists and keep them updated
Create a content calendar/schedule and stick to it! In time, people will become accustomed to receiving your emails.
# 4. Design
There are many platforms available for email template design however my personal favourite is MailChimp. One of the many benefits of using MailChimp (or similar service) is that managing your lists becomes much easier.Did you know that neither Outlook nor Android automatically download images in emails? Check what your email looks like without images; make sure there is clickable content.
# 5. Content Creation
Create content which is useful and interesting for the reader.
- Ensure your subject line is inviting and intriguing.
- Keep the email short with headings and paragraphs of text. If there is a lot of text in relation to one specific topic, create a “Read More” link and direct the reader to the full article on your website.
- Your email should also contain clear calls to action; click here, read more, join today and so on.
- Remember WIIFM (What’s in it for me?) – Why are you emailing ME? Deals? Discounts? Exclusivity? News?
# 6. Analyse and Tweak
Always, always, ALWAYS analyse your Email Analytics. If using a platform like MailChimp, analytics are included and allow you to monitor who opened, clicked, unsubscribed, forwarded it on and so on. MailChimp analytics also check email addresses in your list and will highlight any which have bounced.
- Use your analytics to discover your Optimum Time to send.
- Unsubscribing is a good thing – it makes your lists more focused! You are now emailing a list of people who WANT to hear from you. (Of course, if the unsubscribe rates are high, your content needs to be reviewed!)
- Email marketing is not the best way of acquiring new prospects. It is best for communicating with customers and leads.
- Email marketing is just another element of your Digital Marketing plan, be sure to integrate it with your plan.
If you have any suggestions for creating a successful email marketing campaign please let me know in the comments below.