Domain names are an essential part of any online business.
They are how your customers will find you on the web. And, once you have a good domain name, you want to ensure that it lasts forever.
This article will teach you how to buy a domain name forever.
How to Buy a Domain Name Forever
So you’ve got a perfect domain name that you want to represent your business for the rest of time. How can you secure that domain name forever?
In short, you can’t. But you can get pretty close.
First, many providers offer the option of paying up to ten years in advance, so you can secure your desired domain without having to make year-to-year payments.
There are several reasons to pay for your domain name in advance:
- Cost Effective: Many companies offer discounts when you prepay, so while it may seem like a significant upfront cost, you’ll save money in the long run.
- Secure: Prepaying ensures that no one else can claim your domain and all its associated features for as long as you have it secured. This means you have a decade of total control and security regarding your online presence before considering renewing.
- Convenient: You won’t have to worry about renewing your domain every year and potentially missing a payment or forgetting to do so.
While it’s a great option, paying for ten years’ worth of anything upfront is no small task.
If you need more time to be ready for that level of commitment, you also have the option of paying for your domain name on a year-to-year basis.
While this doesn’t offer as much security as a ten-year plan, there are many benefits to paying year-to-year:
- Renewal is simple: As long as you know when the deadline is, most websites make renewing your domain name a straightforward process. Plus, options like auto-pay mean you don’t have to worry about forgetting to renew your domain because you will automatically be charged when the time comes.
- Flexibility: Things change, and a domain name that may have been the perfect fit a year ago may no longer represent your brand or values in the next. Paying year-to-year offers you more flexibility to move your domain if needed.
- You can always opt for more extended plans later on: If you decide that you want a longer commitment, upgrading from a one-year plan to something more long-term is easy.
So, while there is no guarantee of permanency when it comes to owning a domain name, there are options available that can get you close.
Whether you pay for a decade upfront or make year-to-year payments, understanding how domain names work is essential in ensuring your online presence remains secure.
What is a Domain Name?
A domain name is like a digital address, enabling people to find and remember your website.
Just like you need an address to locate a house and send mail, websites require domain names for people to find them on the web.
Your domain name is what people enter into the search bar to find your website.
Examples of some domain names you’re probably familiar with are:
Before selecting the perfect domain name, there are a few things you need to know about the types of domains, the cost of domains, and how to choose the perfect domain name.
Understanding the Types of Domains
Before you choose the perfect domain name, you need to understand the components of every domain name so you can decide how you want your domain to appear.
There are two parts to a domain name:
- the top-level domain (TLD)
- the second-level domain (SLD)
SLDs (Second Level Domains)
The SLD is the central part of your domain name. This typically comes to mind when you think of “domain name.”
For example, in the domain “tweakyourbiz.com,” “tweakyourbiz” is the SLD.
Choosing a unique and specific SLD can help your brand stand out from similar websites and make your website more memorable and, therefore, easier to find.
TLDs (Top Level Domains)
The TLD is a domain name extension and typically refers to the purpose or type of organization associated with the website.
For example, in the domain “tweakyourbiz.com,” “.com” is the TLD.
A TLD can be anything from the standard “.com” to something more creative like “.party”; however, it is better to stick to the more commonly used options to maximize your website’s searchability.
The top ten most common Top Level Domains are:
Some other TLDs are specific to certain institutions, such as “.gov,” which is reserved for government agencies, or “.edu,” which is used by academic institutions.
Domain names usually combine an SLD with a TLD to form the complete website address, like “tweakyourbiz.com.”
Understanding how to create domain names will help you decide what domain to have forever.
Cost Of Domain Names
So now you understand what domain names are made of, let’s discuss the current costs.
The cost of purchasing a domain name for a website isn’t expensive, but it can vary depending on the type of domain you’re interested in.
Generally speaking, most standard domains cost between $10 to $15 per year; however, premium domains may be significantly more. This is because the domain name you choose may be especially unique and desirable, making it more valuable.
It’s important to note that while the base cost may be low, additional services such as website hosting add to the total cost.
Consider these options to save money on your domain name purchase:
- Look for coupon codes or bundle hosting with the registration for a reduced price.
- Sign up for a longer period; some providers offer discounts for multi-year registrations.
- Look into pre-owned domains, which registrars often sell at discounted prices.
By taking these few steps, you can ensure you’re getting the most bang for your buck when purchasing a domain name.
Choosing a Domain Name
When choosing a domain name, it’s essential to keep your brand identity and marketability in mind.
Consider the following tips when creating the perfect domain name:
Make it Easy to Read
A domain name is a piece of your online identity, so it’s important to ensure you craft it carefully.
Some general tips you can follow to ensure your domain name is easy for people to read:
- Avoid including dashes, numbers, or other special characters: these often make domain names challenging to remember and pronounce.
- Avoid overly intricate words or any form of spelling that may confuse people when attempting to memorize
- Finally, opt for a.com TLD over anything more esoteric: some people may need clarification on any other extensions and will assume you don’t have an official website without a .com address.
By following some simple tips, you can ensure that your domain name is readable and stands out in the minds of potential customers.
Make it Brandable
Whether you are creating a website for a business, personal blog, or simply establishing your digital identity, having a brandable domain name can make a big impact.
A brandable domain name makes it easier for customers to recognize and remember your website.
You should remember these dos and don’ts while choosing the perfect domain name.
- Use memorable words associated with your website’s product or service.
- Choose a relevant domain that speaks to your business, industry, or field
- Create something catchy and unique that will stick in people’s minds
- Be too generic or use common words that are already in existence
- Try to be overly clever with your domain name. You want to stand out, but not to the point of confusion.
- Use an acronym or name that is too similar to another brand.
By creating a brandable and memorable domain name, you can ensure your website has an identity that potential customers will instantly recognize.
Make it Short and Sweet
While longer domain names may give you more room to be creative, less is truly more when choosing your forever domain name.
The best domain name is one that can be
- easily spelled
- easily said aloud
- quickly typed into the search bar
Ideally, you want a domain name no more than two words long.
Consider the Juggernauts of the internet, such as:
Notice that all their domain names are short and sweet, but nobody struggles to pronounce or remember them.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your forever domain name is easy to spell, say and share with others.
Make it Memorable
If you want to buy your domain name forever, the most important thing you can do is choose a memorable domain.
A great domain name will be easy to recall and create a solid first impression and help you appear more professional in the eyes of potential customers.
For example, there are probably a million sites floating around on the web with names like “findcheaphousingforfree.com” or “affordablerealestate.com,” but there’s only one Zillow.
Out of a lineup, which one are you more likely to trust?
To maximize the impact of your domain name and make it more memorable, consider these tips:
- Pick short, punchy words with meaning: this will catch readers’ attention and make your domain easier to remember
- Choose words that are unique and original: using words that nobody else has used will make your domain name stand out
- Use alliteration or rhyming words: this can create a catchy and memorable phrase that sticks in readers’ brains
With some creativity and careful consideration, you can develop a unique yet memorable domain name that stands out and renews your brand identity forever.
Where to Buy a Domain Name
So you know how to craft the perfect domain name, and you’ve learned how to buy a domain name forever, but where do you buy a domain name?
Fortunately, there are a ton of reputable registrars for domain names on the internet today.
Possibly one of the most recognizable registrars out there, GoDaddy is the go-to source for people who want to make a professional website without spending a fortune.
They offer features that are hard to beat, such as
- Web hosting
- Web security
- Easy domain setup and management
- Award-winning customer support
- Marketing tools
- 100s of website design templates
In addition to all these features, GoDaddy offers competitive pricing plans with multiple payment options and renewal discounts each year.
GoDaddy has revolutionized website building by providing features that break barriers in customization and cost.
NameCheap is an industry-leading domain provider offering features that accommodate users of all sorts.
With competitive pricing and a wide range of options, NameCheap offers something for everyone.
They offer features like
- domain registration
- website hosting
- and SSL certificates
At affordable rates, meaning your website can have a secure connection and reliable performance without denting the pocket too much.
Are you looking to customize your domain name?
NameCheap allows you to do this with several personalized pricing options, such as:
- discounted TLDs when registering multiple domains at once
- add-on features like Domain Privacy Guard to ensure more privacy
With their 24/7 live support service, it’s no wonder NameCheap is quickly becoming the go-to choice for users who need reliable features and pricing within budget.
Established in 1979, Network Solutions is the first domain registrar on the internet.
Over the years, they have evolved into an industry leader with features and pricing options that are hard to beat.
Features such as:
- Trademark protection
- Hosting services
- Professional emails to match your domain name
Network Solutions offers numerous advanced features, such as a powerful website builder and e-commerce capabilities, at competitive rates for those wanting more than traditional web hosting services.
Pricing plans are affordably priced and tailored to suit individual needs.
With all these features available at prices to suit every budget, Network Solutions makes it simple for anyone to find the perfect solution for their online business needs.
Domain Names Wrap Up
Securing the perfect domain name is essential to launching your online presence, but it’s more than just a name – it also means investing in the future.
There are many options when searching for how to buy a domain name forever and secure your website’s longevity.
You may choose to have annual renewals or set up an auto-renewal yearly with most registrars.
However, if you genuinely want to buy a domain permanently, you should consider purchasing multiple years at once.
Depending on how long you would like the domain, there are various options available, so be sure to do some research!
Do you have any tips for those wondering how to buy a domain name forever? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Happy domain hunting!
Domain Registration FAQ
You cannot buy a domain for a lifetime but can renew your registration indefinitely.
The cost to buy a domain name permanently varies depending on how many years you choose to register the domain. The more years you purchase upfront, the less expensive it will be in the long run.
Yes, most domain registrars allow you to purchase a domain for up to 10 years.
ICANN (The Internet Corporation for Assigning Names and Numbers), a nonprofit organization regulating domain names, requires all domains to be renewed at least every year. This prevents any single individual from holding onto a domain for a lifetime. However, you can still renew your domain indefinitely.
No, you do not own domain names forever, but you can register a domain name for up to ten years and renew your domain name indefinitely.