Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO thinks “Augmented Reality is a big idea like the smartphone.” Like Apple TV, AR is one of the passion projects of Apple.
Augmented Reality is a perspective-altering technology. It overlays graphical or text snippets on a physical object when it is seen through a screen, mostly a smartphone or a tablet device.
How is it Different from VR?
Virtual reality transports the user to an artificial environment that may not be the same place or environment where the user is currently placed in.
Augmented Reality augments the current reality of the individual by overlaying graphical elements over and above physical objects in the near vicinity.
Benefits of Augmented Reality Development of Industries
- Interior design
- Apparel retail
What is the Future of Augmented Reality Development
- Microsoft bought Minecraft maker Mojang for $2.5 billion in 2015.
- “Worldwide AR headset sales could hit $1.2 billion by 2017” CSS Insights.
- Niantic’s Pokemon Go hit a daily active user number of 45 million
- 60% to 70% of consumers see clear benefits ~ ISACA
Use Cases for Augmented Reality App Development
1. eCommerce/Mobile Commerce
Virtual fitting rooms where customers can trial products real-time without having to try them physically.
- Reduces churn rate
- Increases time spent on store
- Builds brand loyalty
- Improves conversion
2. Marketing and Sales Promotion
Loyalty schemes, virtual product visualization, marketing stunts, etc. that can be merged into real-life physical objects/places using street marking, advergaming, geolocalized apps, etc.
- Engages customers
- Boosts customer interaction
- Cost-effective viral marketing
- Accurately measurable
- Dynamic rendering of campaigns
Interactive educational materials that can recreate historical events, 3D rendering of images or processes, graphical presentation of the human body, etc.
- Heightens enthusiasm for learning
- Instills better learning through visuals
- 360-degree understanding of concepts
- Archivable, easily shareable and upgradable
4. Industrial Engineering
Designing, planning, plotting, etc. made easier with live imagery overlaid over physical spaces and component engineering. Proves utilitarian in construction, interior designing, manufacturing, etc. where accurate measurements need to be made beforehand.
- Reduces manual errors
- Validates designs using 3D models
- Gives live rendering preview models
- Easily scalable for any space or distance
Estimated to become a $1.5 Billion industry by 2020, Augmented Reality in healthcare can prove helpful in visual visualization of internal organs for surgeons, patient awareness and training through graphical illustrations, medical training for paramedical professionals, etc.
- Reduces the risk involved in invasive surgery
- Improves understanding of organ functioning
- Helps quick diagnosis of symptoms & injuries
- Easily portable medical scanning tools
Augmented Reality app development can heighten engagement and experience in the entertainment industry through interactive applications. Games that merge physical and digital worlds, kiosks for movie promotions, alternative reality experiences, etc.
- Increased customer spending
- Improved engagement
- Real-world multi-media experience
- Refreshing content
The Future of Augmented Reality
Augmented Reality is fast becoming commonplace. The perspective altering technology will have a positive impact across several technologies where measurement, accuracy and time are of the essence.
Augmented Reality app development for Android, iOS or Windows devices will help spread the usage of applications that will remove the difficulty and clutter presently experienced in everyday life. It will simplify the everyday life of common users without having to learn or get adapted to sophisticated technology. It will be easy to use and significantly beneficial, thus rightfully the next technological evolution like that of smartphones.