With millions of apps available for download on App Store, it is surprising to see only a few of them actually making it to the regularly used apps list. Even among those selected few, apps like Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Skype, Truecaller, Instagram, and few others, have already secured their spots. Therefore, what you have is your app competing for a handful of places.
No matter how many reasons industry experts give, the reality is there are only two reasons for a mobile app failure. It is poor user engagement and user retention rate. When users get in touch with the app, if the app is not able to engage users through a well-crafted user interface (UI), then they will not even bother to visit the app again. Similarly, if an app has acquired users, but has failed to introduce updates or upgrades, then users will not be further motivated to use the app again.
It only takes a few modifications here and there within your UX, letting users immerse in your app, and encouraging them to keep going with the app for longer. Let us look at those few tweaks that can make a major difference.
#1. Make user onboarding seamless to handle
What is your first reaction when you see an app for the very first time? You might say “aha” if you like it, or probably say “ohh” if you dislike it. It all depends on how the onboarding process has been when you came across the app for the first time ever. Nailing this stage of acquiring users is critically important for an initial success.
The key to achieving this feat is allowing users to reach the “aha” moment as soon as possible, without giving them any chance of saying “ohh” at any point of time.
#2. Notifications are a great way to fill gaps
There are instances when users tend to forget opening even the most popular apps like Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. The reason being they might be busy enough not to get time, or probably occupied with something else. If this happens consecutively for days, then there is a possibility that users would not bother to open those apps, unless required. The situation gets worse in the case of less popular apps, not explored again ever.
Triggering user minds after certain intervals is critically important to keep them constantly connected with your app, on both emotional and practical levels. Every time a user gets a like, follow, comment, or share, it is wise to inform them, to let them feel connected round the clock. Other than this, sending across information regarding new products, services, discounts, offers, events, and newsletters, will also let them feel part of one whole big family.
#3. Efficient customer service delivers effective results
When you have acquired new users, it is foolish to expect brand loyalty and trust from them right away. They need time to strike the right chord with your app. New users display a cautious behavior, and would not be willing to give another chance if expectations not fulfilled.
Delivering a great customer service beyond expectation is a big decision changer. Users always strive for best in the class customer service, and if that is fulfilled convincingly, it will be an exceptional achievement. Nevertheless, let us quickly have a walk-through across five simple tips to excellent customer service:
- Immediate Response – Respond to users instantly, not necessarily bringing a solution to the problem, but at least informing them that you are there to solve all their issues within a few hours or days.
- Regular Feedback – Ask your customers at every single point to provide their valuable suggestions or feedback, for improving your products or services, refining your current offerings.
- Deploy Surprises – Provide users with surprises through follow-ups, freebies, or rewards, which can act as a great source of motivation, especially at the time when they expect the least.
- FAQ Section – When you have an FAQ section in place, with many issues answered, users will find it more convenient to check for the solution without going through the hassle of contacting you, and waiting for the issue to solve.
- Personalized Approach – Users understand and respond positively when you reach them on a personal level. Do not consider users as your customers; instead, treat them as friends so that they could share everything easily.
We just discussed the 3 best tactics to optimize the User Experience to the fullest. Ratings and reviews are undoubtedly the best metrics to track how well the User Experience (UX) clicked among the users. However, let us discuss 3 more unexplored metrics, rarely talked about, but playing an equally defying role in setting the center stage for your app.
Average Revenue Per User (ARPU)
The metric gives an average revenue figure that your app is generating per user. It can be calculated as total revenue generated by an app in a given time frame, divided by total number of active users in that same time frame.
Cost Per Install (CPI) / Cost Per Loyal User (CPLU)
- CPI metric gives an average cost figure that your app is incurring per install, based upon your ad spend. It can be calculated as total ad expenditure within an app, divided by total number of ad campaign installs.
- CPLU metric gives an average cost figure, your app is incurring per loyal user, based upon your ad spend. It can be calculated as total ad expenditure within an app, divided by total number of loyal active users, who have opened the app at least three times, responding to that advertisement.
This is often a talked about term simply referring to the number of users who still love your app, and prefer to select your app over others, during a specific time period. There are certain set criteria to decide how to retain users. Let us look at two ratios specifically to get a clear idea.
- Aggregate retention refers to the total number of active users operating on an average in a month, divided by total number of app installs.
- Retention within a given time period refers to the total number of active users retained during the end of a specific period, divided by the total number of installs right at the start of the same period.
Tweak Your Biz is a thought leader global publication and online business community. Today, it is part of the Small Biz Trends stable of websites and receives over 300,000 unique views per month. Would you like to write for us?
An outstanding title can increase tweets, Facebook Likes, and visitor traffic by 50% or more. Generate great titles for your articles and blog posts with the Tweak Your Biz Title Generator.