7 Places to Sell Used Tech & Gadgets
When you have older tech and gadgets that you are no longer using, they tend to sit around in a closet gathering dust. But, you can sell these gadgets and get money that you can use to upgrade to new tech (or anything else you want). There are many places where you can sell your used tech. But, you need to do your research to make sure that you are going to get the most money. To help get you started, we have some tips on how to sell used tech and gadgets, and seven places where you can get top dollar for them.
Tips for Selling Used Tech
- Presentation – The more packaging that you have to go with the gadgets you are selling, the more money you are going to make. It is always a good idea to hang onto receipts and original packaging when you buy tech and gadgets. You can also increase the amount you sell your gadgets for by adding any accessories that you have for them.
- Condition – The condition the device is in can make or break a sale. Any cosmetic wear and tear is going to reduce the value of the item, no matter how well it works. If there are any internal issues, you are going to get even less money. The better the condition, the more you are going to get. Make sure that you clean up the item, and be honest about any issues it may have.
- Know When to Sell – There is a right and a wrong time to sell used tech and gadgets. The absolute best time is just before new gadgets are about to hit the market. Once they are out, everyone will be scrambling to get the latest models, and no one is going to be interested in buying your used device.
- Be Firm – Most people are going to try and talk you down in price. Of course, a bit of haggling is to be expected. But, you should never let anyone talk you down to a price that is far lower than what you originally wanted. A good way to avoid this problem is to advertise the item at a higher price than what you want. That way, when someone tries to talk you down, they talk you down to the original amount you wanted in the first place.
- Prepare the Gadget to Sell – Before you sell a gadget, you need to prepare it for sale. This involves gathering up the original packaging if you have it (as well as the receipt), cleaning it up on the outside to make it look as good as possible, and wiping it clean of all of your personal information, files, data, etc.
Where to Sell Used Tech & Gadgets
#1. Facebook Marketplace
Here is where you can buy and sell items within your own community. Millions of people connect on Facebook, so you can be pretty sure that there is going to be a buyer for just about anything you have to sell, including tech and gadgets. Marketplace makes it easy to buy and sell items within your community. This means that there is no need to drive any distance, and you don’t have to bother with shipping and handling.
#2. Gadget Salvation
A website that offers top dollar for used tech is Gadget Salvation. All you have to do is search for your item, answer a few questions about its condition, and receive a free quote. Then, you get a pre-paid shipping label. Simply package up the item and send it off. You will receive payment once they receive your item. This is a fast and easy to make money by selling older tech and gadgets, and you are sure to get the highest quotes than on any other site.
OfferUpNow is a great site to use when you want to find buyers right in your area. You can buy and sell locally, which is going to save you a lot of hassles in the long run. In addition to tech items, there are also many other categories, so you can sell a lot of things that that you really don’t need any longer. This is a great way to clean house and make some money while you are at it.
LetGo is another site that lets you sell locally. It is also easy to use. Like the television commercials say, all you have to do is “snap, post, chat, and sell”. Thousands of people in your area will see what you are selling, and you are sure to end up with several interested potential buyers for your tech and gadgets. You can also use this site to sell just about any other items that you are no longer using, and make extra cash.
#5. Best Buy
If you are looking to upgrade your tech, you can save money by trading in your old devices through the Best Buy trade-in program. They will give buy your old gadgets (providing that they are in good condition), and you can upgrade to new (or new to you) items from Best Buy.
#6. Amazon Trade-In
As long as you don’t mind receiving an Amazon gift card instead of cash, the Amazon Trade-In program is another way to get rid of the gadgets you no longer have any use for. You will have to answer some questions about the condition of the item, and then you will receive a quote. Shipping is free, and you get paid with an Amazon gift card that you can use to purchase anything on the site.
#7. Music Magpie
Music Magpie is one of the best ways to sell CD’s, video games, DVD’s, and books. You can use the app to turn your phone into a barcode scanner, making it even faster and easier to sell your items. You get instant price quotes, and same-day payments. You can also shop for the best deals on music, DVD’s, games, and books.
Samantha Millets is a freelance professional researcher. She is passionate about photography and social media.Read Full Bio