8 Tips to Make Every Day at Office Brighter and Lighter
It is no less than a soul-sucking experience to sit in an office building for 40 hours every week with the same people around. The crazy part is that doing what we love doesn’t stop us from feeling bored about it. At times, every day and every moment all what we crave for is motivation, newness, and anything that can add life to our office hours. Fortunately, there are ways which can bring back the lost enthusiasm and add quality to our office hours.
Here are some simple yet practical tips to add fun to your office hours.
#1. Reach 20 minutes prior to Normal Time
Yes, yes, you read it right! 20 minutes earlier than normal time.
You might be thinking, ‘how starting 20 minutes earlier can brighten up my day?’ But, it can help you to:
- Settle Down in Peace: This extra time is for you to relax after your commute and settle down in peace before your coworkers come in.
- Prioritize your Day: Also reaching earlier to office, gives you time to set priorities for the day.
- Cool Beginning: You have enough time to relax, plan and begin your day on a cool note. As the saying goes, “Well begun is half-done”. The day is all set for you now.
#2. Carry Food Along
I am sure your office has a dream kitchen which offers everything you want to. As a result of this, you buy your breakfast, lunch, salads and snacks from there itself. Is it?
But this is the big reason why you have started feeling bored at your office. Cooking and bringing your own food has a lot of advantages over the former part. Here’s how:
- You save a lot of time: Bringing your own food means you don’t have to waste a lot of time standing in queues to buy eatables.
- Keeps you in good health: That goes without saying. Cooking at home is a healthier alternative to outside food.
- Saves money: Yes, carrying your eatables along saves you a lot of money as compared to paying for it three times a day.
- Keeps your Boss happy: No matter how cordial your office environment is, bosses still love employees who spend more time at their desks than the office canteen.
#3. Schedule Small Breaks
I know there are busy days where you need to sit for eight hours straight in front of your computer screen without even taking a lunch break. But it is always good to take a break for a walk, snacks or to just chill. Ideally, you can should take a break for 5-10 minutes every two hours or so. Here are the benefits you will reap out of it:
- Gives you Time to Relax: Small breaks are a great way to relax and rejuvenate your energy levels for some more action at work.
- Good for your Eyes: Your eyes would simply thank you for this! Long and continuous hours on a computer screen are a punishment for your eyes. Breaking off from work for short intervals gives them the essential rest.
- Good for your Posture: Sedentary lifestyles are slowly ruining our health. Taking a few healthy steps after short intervals keeps you active and fit.
#4. Invest in Cute Office Supplies
Yeah, that may sound a bit silly. But this helps. If your desk is cute, decorated, or simply attractive, it keeps you motivated throughout the day. Sitting on a dull desk with a PC screen can definitely make you feel bored. Following are some benefits of an attractive working space:
- Adds Vibrancy: As already mentioned, a decorated and well-managed desk keeps your mood in high spirits. You can invest in colored coffee mugs, pens, notebooks, water bottles etc.
- Makes you feel Good: Put up a picture of your family members and friends in a nice photo frame. Also, you can put up nice quotes or happy memories to cheer yourself up.
- Green Keeps you Inspired: Air plants are quite in trend these days. Keeping your surroundings green can boost your productivity and happiness levels.
#5. Use your Time Off Constructively
Taking leaves every now and then is important for every employee working in an office. But what is more important is the way you utilize your office holidays. Planning a vacation to a far off place with friends and family is the best way to make use of office leaves. If you begin to utilize your time off properly, you will see the following outcome:
- Must for Rejuvenation: Vacation time is a great opportunity to rejuvenate yourself and cut off from the monotonous routine.
- Leads to a Happy Family: Also, taking time off from the office allows you to spend quality time with your friends and family. It strengthens the bond and makes them feel valued.
- Leads to Spiritual Growth: Spending some time at a spiritual retreat centre is also a good way to recharge your energies. This not only leads to spiritual growth, but also mental, physical and emotional conditioning.
#6. Use a Project Management Technology
We handle a large number of projects on a daily basis at our workplace. But most of the time we are hunting emails for relevant information from them. This certainly consumes a lot of time and effort and lead to poor productivity. A better idea is to switch to an efficient project management tool like ProofHub which can help you to manage your tasks, meet deadlines and collaborate with your team members seamlessly.
- Accomplish Milestones: A project management software lets you keep a track of specific tasks for a project and allows you to meet milestones in time.
- Avoid the Hassle of Emails: With a project management software, you don’t need to spend every morning hunting emails and gathering information.
- Collaborate with your Team: A project management software lets you define tasks for other team members and keep a check over their performance as well.
#7. Interact with Coworkers
Humans love and crave for interaction with other human beings. In fact, human touch is always more valued over materialistic stuff.
So, even when your desk is surrounded by greenery, your favorite food stuff and everything you need to be happy, but you don’t talk with your coworkers you will certainly feel left out. A better idea is to get along with team members every now and then as it:
- Keeps you Alive: As already mentioned, being alone in the office will not help you survive for long. During short breaks, interact with your team members and coworkers.
- Makes you work as a Team: Finding time to get along with your team imparts a sense of togetherness with other team members.
- Gives you a Reason to come to office: Having an office buddy with whom you can share all work-related stuff and crack jokes is a great motivation to reach the office daily.
#8. Drink Plenty of Water
This zero-calorie liquid has a number of benefits for your physical and mental health. Keep yourself hydrated throughout the day by drinking a lot of water. It flushes out a number of toxins and keep diseases at bay. All you need to do is to keep a water bottle alongside you and refill it whenever it goes empty. Here are some more benefits of drinking water:
- Boosts Energy Levels: The majority of your brain is nothing but water, thus drinking it improves your thought process, focus, and concentration. This helps to keep your energy levels boosted and reduce fatigue.
- Keeps you on your Toes: Since drinking excess water will force you to walk to the bathroom again and again, thus you cannot skip walking anyhow then.
- Good for Weight Loss: Drinking plenty of water improves metabolism, reduces hunger and removes fat-products. Thus, it is quite essential for your weight loss drive.
I hope the above points will help you to make the best of your day and help you focus on your work in a better way.
Vartika Kashyap runs the marketing team at ProofHub — a project management software for teams of all sizes. She is a seasoned marketing professional who is an expert in digital marketing and entrepreneurship. She’s been featured among LinkedIn’s Top Voices for the year 2016. Connect with Vartika on LinkedIn, Medium and Twitter.Read Full Bio