Considering moving to an Apple Mac
I have been using a PC for many years and I was always curious about an Apple Mac but never bought one. My laptop finally packed in so I decided to invest in a Apple Macbook Pro which cost 1,500 euro. This is probably 50% more than I wanted to pay for a laptop but was it worth it?
Yes it was certainly worth it. It’s such a nicer interface and much easier to use with lots of cool features. However there are some disadvantages as well. If you’re considering moving over here’s the good and the bad:
1. Battery life – I’m now getting at least four hours batter life on my pro which is really cool.
2. Shutdown – With my existing laptop I was shutting it down and starting it up a couple of times a day. I found that sleep mode doesn’t work really well. Every time I started it up it took at least a minute or two to get back up and running. With the Mac I never shut it down! When I’m not using it I just close it up and when I open it up again it’s ready to use in about 5 seconds . This is probably the feature I like best about it.
3. Interface – Once you get used to the interface it’s much nicer than a pc. Everything seams so simple to set it up and it appears that everything just works.
4. Viruses – The Mac operating system is based on Unix so you are much more protected and are exposed to less viruses.
1. Applications – You forget about some applications that you use regularly that are not available on the Mac. For example, notepad, paint, explorer. There are equivalent programs on the Mac but they take a bit of time to get up to speed on.
2. Keyboard/Shortcut – Although some of the shortcut keys on the Mac are the same as the PC some are not. Also there are some differences on the keyboard which slows you down a bit (e.g. with a tracker pad you need to tap it with 2 fingers for the right click)
So overall I’m very happy with the move. It’s a real pleasure working on the Mac now that I’ve switched over. Are you considering moving to a Mac or have you done so recently, what is your feedback/questions? What cool applications do you have on the Mac?