Help! The World’s Been Taken Over By Bloggers
The world is under attack – not from little green men, but from bloggers. Eventually bloggers will take over the world as we know it.
The web is full of blogs and bloggers: an alien mix of opinions, recommendations, tips, tricks and guides. All virtally hanging in cyberspace… waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting reader.
You may think I’m a little mean; likening bloggers to little green men. But there are similarities. Allow me to explain five of them.
1) LGM: We don’t know where little green men come from or what they want from us.
Bloggers: We don’t know where a blog post comes from (by ‘where’, I mean ‘who’ and what expertise/background they have). We don’t always know what they hope to achieve or their aim.
2) LGM: Little green men may attack because they haven’t heard our side of the story.
Bloggers: Bloggers attack people, places, businesses, events and opinions. In most cases, without knowing the full story.
3) LGM: Little green men lie.
Bloggers: Bloggers lie. And we believe them, because the nature of blogging means that they can say anything they want to the big wide world.
4) LGM: We’re not sure if we should hug little green men, or shoot them.
Bloggers: We’re not sure if we should agree with a blogger or shoot ‘em too.
5) LGM: We don’t understand the language of little green men.
Blogger: We don’t always understand the terminology of bloggers.
So, my fellow bloggers, should we embrace our alien-natures and send the world bloggers? How do we know which bloggers to trust and which to avoid?
How to test to see if a blogger is friendly or evil
1) Does the blogger use facts and figures from actual sources? Do they provide links to these sources?
2) Is the terminology correct for their topic area? Do they feature other blogs with a similar topic area?
3) How do they react when challenged? Do they use third party sources to prove their point? Do they give a balanced response with plenty of detail?
4) Do they spend the entire post slating others or do they offer genuine advice and tips?
Any other similarities to little green men? (I’m sure I haven’t exhausted them all)
Any ‘evil’ blogs to share?