Finding Newsworthy Angles for Your Business
How do you get your business into the news? In the excitement of setting up a business, many people rush in with a press release that shouts, ‘We Are Here; Please Feature Us.’ But this won’t impress a world-weary journalist who receives hundreds of press releases each week. What journalists want is an angle, a hook that makes a business stand out.
Before you begin approaching media outlets, have a brainstorm with yourself, to figure out what’s different about your business. You’ll find there are loads of angles to choose from.
- New Developments: A launch, an award, or an expansion of your business will give journalists the feeling that they’re getting news hot off the presses.
- Background: Many businesses have an interesting back story. Do you have a knack for spotting a niche? Are you finally getting the chance to pursue a passion?
- Products and Services: Are you stocking a line of clothing that’s exclusive to Ireland? Is your service filling a need people never knew they had?
Not all businesses are unique, but they all have their own individual way of delivering their products and services. If you worry that nothing new is happening in your business, consider these options.
- Customer Service: What do you do to go that extra mile for your customers?
- Expertise: Are you good at spotting trends? Do you have a particular insight into a current news story?
Media publicity is a valuable outlet for promoting your business. But businesses don’t fully exploit its potential. Most businesses still tend to go down the advertising route when approaching the media. But being featured in the news and feature sections is free – and generates the sort of word-of-mouth publicity that money can’t buy.