LinkedIn for Job Seekers?
Just to mix things up this week I have decided to make a quick video on LinkedIn for job seekers.
LinkedIn is without doubt a very valuable tool. In the US over 80% of employers are now using LinkedIn as part of their recruitment process. In Ireland LinkedIn has really taken off in the past 12 months. There are over 8,000 new members in Ireland monthly.
My Tips for job seekers using LinkedIn include:
- Add a quality photo
- Add your contact details – make it as easy as possible for employers to contact you.
- Make sure your profile is 100% complete.
- Add your work history and your qualifications- LinkedIn in many ways is like having your CV online.
- Update your status regularly. Remind your contacts that you are there and tell them what you are looking for.
- Write a brief summary highlight your unique selling points, your achievements and your business goals.
- Join Groups – Search and join groups relevant to your industry. Also look at career guidance and job seeking groups.
- Ask and answer questions. The more active you are the more you will get noticed.
- As LinkedIn is global there is a super opportunity to communicate with experts worldwide.
- Build up your network – Invite ex colleagues, school and college contacts, old business contacts and even friends and family to connect on LinkedIn.
- See what networking events are on in your local area.
- Try to meet a contact in person weekly.
- Keep adding to LinkedIn even after you find a job. It is an invaluable “Talent Bank” of contacts.
Good Luck and let me know how you get on using LinkedIn.
Please leave a comment and share your LinkedIn tips with us.